AI can make wind turbines and solar plants more efficient
According to a new study, artificial intelligence will facilitate the complete automation of wind turbines and solar plants within a few years.
Trade Fairs and Exhibitions, Conferences, etc
December 2017 – In its " Making renewables smarter: The benefits, risks, and future of artificial intelligence in solar and wind " study, the Norwegian-German ship and offshore classification society DNV GL has taken a look at the use of artificial intelligence in the design, construction and maintenance of wind turbines and solar plants. Above all, the authors see considerable opportunities for the use of intelligent robots.
The machines could:
• Be used for remote maintenance
• Work directly on the surface of a building and check it for material defects or wear using new technologies such as microwaves or ultrasound
• Optimise the supply chain by automating the entire manufacturing process, from the transport of parts with autonomous vehicles loaded and unloaded by robots, to the assembly of individual parts by additional robots and drones
• Make inspections more efficient and effective thanks to autonomous drones, and
• Simplify and speed up the review of construction plans.
The authors of the study explain that since wind turbines and solar plants are already equipped with numerous sensors, they are particularly suitable for mechanised and automatic checks.
© 2017 IED All right reserved.